Monday 4 March 2013

57th Commission on the Status of Women

Hello everyone! 
This will be my very first blog entry, so i thought I'd give you some information about me. My name is Kasha and i am 14 years old. I have been interested in social justice since i was 8 years old. I've been involved with Canadian Voice Of Women for Peace (VOW) since attending their first Summer Peace Camp in August.

This blog will be about my time at the 57th Commission on the Status of Women in New York City.I have set up this blog with the name Expression Activism. Being an 'expression activist' to me means that you create change with your own personal talents and gifts. It is about using your creativity towards a cause that you care about or that sparks your interest. We need to be creative to solve the issues facing our world today..watch here for a photo series of CSW57 participants and how they are expressing their activism. Follow my twitter @expressionACTv8 and also VOW's twitter @vowpeace for daily updates. 

So far it's only been half of the first day, which has been great. I went to VOW's workshop called Confronting Military Sexual Violence:Challenging Militarized Security. This particular workshop featured a film called "Invisible War" by Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering. "Invisible War" is a film about sexual violence in the military and features veterans who recount their assaults. The film also focuses on topics surrounding the judicial system and the aftermath of the assaults. Afterwards, there was a panel discussing the daunting reality of the increasing occurrence of sexual assault in the military. The panelists included Betty Reardon, Tamara Lorincz, Rose Dyson, and Renee Black and moderated by Marilou McPhedran, presented by Janis Alton.

This afternoon I am checking out the Art&Activism workshop. Tonight i am going to the Government of Canada's welcome reception for the Canadian NGO's participating at the conference.

My favourite quote of the day was: " If one woman could tell her story, the world would split open".

Here are some photos from the workshop today




No comments:

Post a Comment